Hi there, you Netflix abusers you. Here are the questions I plan to answer in this post.
- Who uses Netflix?
- Who uses Cable TV?
- What are the outlooks in ratings for each medium in years to follow?
I will start you off with some statistics from The Huffington Post
- 40% of all households with TV use a subscription video-on-demand service like Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu Plus, according to Nielsen data.
- Cable TV had a 40% decline of ratings in the last half of 2014 – because people are watching more television online
This data shows me that people tend to spend more time watching things online, and I can only assume this is because people are on their phones and computers more. Especially at my age, a 21-year-old college student that has Internet almost anywhere she goes. I don’t carry my Cable TV, but because Netflix has an app and is easily accessible, we tend to lean toward the easier viewing. That is something that we seem to like this day and age – convenience.
So now that we know Netflix is on the rise and Cable TV is on declining, now we can think about why or rather, who is the cause? Before looking up the data, I assumed based on my Twitter poll and followers, that it would be a demographic of ages 15 – 24 that use Netflix the most.
- Since Netflix’s start in 1997, its subscribers as of January 19th, 2017 is 93.8 billion
- 47% of Netflix’s subscribers are from outside of the US
- Canada, Mexico, and Brazil are some of Netflix’s most important markets
- In the U.S. aged 16-24 year olds are the most prominent Netflix Users (I was so close!)
As for Cable TV, it seems that the crowd of 18-34 year olds has been taken from them. You can see from this graph from Marketing Charts that those 18-34 have been on a gradual decline, while those 35 + seem to still watch TV the same amount as normal. This makes sense with what I know from my day-to-day life. Adam and I both fall in the category that is declining from television, and we don’t have Cable TV anymore; my parents don’t have Netflix and still use TV as their main source of entertainment.
These have been very interesting, and yet somewhat predictable facts for the Teleflix battle. Traditional TV is losing viewers, but also has a consumer base that is loyal in those aged 35+. I’d say this is Netflix: 2 Television: 1. Stay tuned for more! – Syd